Sunday, October 24, 2010

Half Marathon Training - So Far, So Good!

Over the past 4 weeks, I’ve survived 3 long runs of 8-10 miles! I have been diligently doing conditioning work on rest days to strengthen my usual problem areas (hips, hip flexors, I’ve talked about them way too often). It’s not that I don’t have any pain anymore, but the conditioning work has enabled me to continue my runs without prolonged breaks forced from the pain! Now that is progress compared to even earlier this year.

The conditioning work is really nothing intense or particularly strenuous – since I sit a lot during the day without much movement at work, I make sure I move my legs in all four directions (front, back, side to side) and do exercises that strengthen my glutes. Occasionally I’d add upper body workouts as well to strengthen the core (helps posture when running). Very infrequently using weights, most of the times using resistance bands or sometimes none at all. It’s something most of the people (if not all!) can handle if you have a chronic pain issue.

Running a lot also has helped me manage my stress better and get my thoughts organized to make positive decisions in my life. Being back in training mode definitely suits my life better! It is also great to have something to look forward to tackling (e.g. break 2:40 time goal for the half marathon on 11/14), achieving, etc… what is your next achievement? It doesn’t have to be big, just something you have been wanting to do, make it a goal and just go for it! The feeling of accomplishing goals will charge you up for the next!!! Having something to look forward to…a great impetus to go to sleep to wake up the next day and get moving!!!

Here are my goals for this week:

  1. Get all my deliverables done at work in a timely and accurate manner
  2. Make sure I train at least 3 days of the week (out of the ideal 4)
  3. Don’t eat heavily salty, spicy and soy-sauce marinated food (worst for my allergies)
  4. Don’t get frustrated by others’ bad attitude – just stay happy and positive at all times

What are your goals for the week? No matter how big or small, let’s set them and experience the power of achieving them!

No comments: