Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Training progress

I'm still struggling to get my training back on track, but I am getting a hang of it slowly. I had a bit of a hiccup when I ended up with a severe cold that knocked me down for 4 days...when I was starting to feel better I sat down and went over my training plan for the 5/2 Escape from Alcatraz triathlon... Yikes, the only thing I've been doing diligently is running. With 2 half marathons under my belt leading up to the triathlon, I feel comfortable with the run.

On the other hand - for the 1.5 mile of swimming in the cold and choppy water...eh only 1 pool session to date, and for the 18 mile super hilly bike ride - one FLAT group ride to date (with some interval training, etc).... YIKES!!!!! I really have some work to do.

I did revise my training schedule, however. I think it will work out ok. I've even scheduled a practice swim in the San Francisco Bay 2 weeks before the race to at least familiarize myself with the blasting cold water!!! Need to work on getting rid of the fear of ocean swimming (will it ever go away?) and really getting some super hilly bike rides in. Thinking about it makes me stress. Just gotta do them.

Training after work has been tough, since it has been very hard to find the energy and mental motivation to go work out after a draining work day. But that again has to be tackled.

I feel like in general I've lost my rhythm quite a bit this year compared to last. A lot has changed and I let myself get impacted by those changes... At the end I do have to be a lot more flexible with my time, which I have to juggle between being well-planned and being spontaneous. Sounds easy, right?? But all these changes are demanding a new set of mindset and action plans from me - change is never easy!

Well, I keep pushing. I think, I rethink, then I try to execute. If I put off my swim training today one more time, I will just not be happy with myself. It's time to just implement. Just go do it. After I'm done with that swim I'm probably going to ask myself 'so why didn't I do that more often before????'. Sometimes thinking about the future can make things seem a lot harder than what actually could be...we will only know what it's going to be like when we're in it.

God bless!
Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

No comments: